Monday, February 20, 2006

Introducing...Emma


Wednesday, February 15th, I finally went into labor after DAYS of non-progressing contractions. Days, I tell you. The midwives even spent the night one night waiting. Three days before I actually gave birth. This is baby #5, and she decided to break all the patterns. My other labors were quick, non-complicated, somewhat non-stressful events. This one was different most all the way around.

The first thing we had to organize was the other kids. Were they going to be here to greet the new baby (and if so, how would they stay asleep and/or occupied during the birth)? We finally decided some dear dear friends could indeed handle what they might dish out, and they spent the night two nights (while we thought I was in labor) away from home. Less than 2 miles away, but away, nonetheless. And it has been reported that they were SO good, which is so reassuring to hear.

Then the midwives, one of whom was scheduled to leave town on the 16th. I tried not to panic as my contractions never intensified, but I am afraid I panicked after all. When our primary midwife came on Sunday the 12th to try to help things along, she stripped the membranes and we started Labor tinctures and blue cohosh. I was about 3 cm dilated at that point. Later that evening, contractions picked up and continued for several hours, although they were tolerable. We called the midwives back at about 8:00, and they got the bed and the birthing pool ready. And we chatted and waited. Finally we all fell asleep about 2:00 am. We woke up with the contractions still coming, but not as strong. I fixed us all breakfast and we waited some more. We decided nothing was happening, so did a 4 hour bit with the tinctures and they went home about 11:00. All day had the same mild contractions. By the time they left I was dilated to 5 cm, no more. We ate super spicy firecracker chicken at Panda Express, and waited some more. That stuff was so spicy I couldn't even taste the chicken. It did not, however, stimulate labor.

Tuesday we had more contractions, did another 4 hour bit with the Labor tincture and blue cohosh, which made me kind of dizzy. Then we went out to lunch at a deli, walked at the cemetery for about an hour (it's the next block behind our house - the other way is the hospital, and there was NO WAY I was going to walk by there - someone might have pulled me in seeing how overdue I was). Came home. No change in the contractions, so we went and picked up the kids. It was nice to have them home, even if things were a little crazy when they got there. James helped make a cake for Abby's birthday, which was the day before, and we all stayed together all night.

Wednesday morning I decided I was not taking the tinctures again, and we were going to get out of the house. I had some groceries to pick up (always thinking - this is the last trip to the store before the baby!) and a run to the PO, so Paul stayed home with the kids while I went. Then I came home, piled the kids in the car with a little picnic and we went to the park (driving quickly past the aforementioned hospital). And we sent Paul to work. I wanted nothing more than to be able to call him to come back home! The park is only 3 blocks away, but I didn't want to give birth on the sidewalk with all the kids just in case, so we drove. While we were there a group of moms from the catholic church was having a play day, and they were all SO encouraging to me and promised to be praying that the baby would come soon. No comments about this being #5 and did we know what was causing it, and all. I know that it was providential that they were there at the same time we were. I was greatly encouraged by them.

Rounding up the kids was only possible by promising that we'd stop by Sonic for a soda, so after changing our order three times, we ended up with a root beer for #1, and three grape slushes. I got the blended dr pepper ice cream thing that always makes my stomach upset, which is what I was hoping would set things off. After about 30 minutes, I think it did. I started having stronger, regular (3 minutes apart) contractions, so at 2:30 I called Paul to come home, and I timed them while I finished checking email. Our midwife came over and checked, no change in dilation but she was excited about the difference in contractions. She went to Walmart and finish her in-town errands. A friend came over about 3:30 and visited with me while I sorted out a bunch of elastic that I ordered from Kathy's lace and elastic yahoo group (fr8rain on ebay). She had used the same midwife we were using so we talked about that and other things. I also got a package right about then from an online friend full of knitting stuff, yarn, needles, and a little kit for knitting newbies. I thought about starting to knit, but I wanted to do that sitting down, and there was NO WAY I was going to sit down when I was having such nice contractions. I didn't want them to stop until the baby was OUT.

After another hour the midwife came back, checked again - still at 5 cm. So she was going to run home and take care of her dogs and wait for our call. I took another shower, thinking that would either slow them down or speed them up, but it did neither. Paul went ahead and arranged for someone to come get the 3 older kids for their missions classes at church and dinner there, while Abby stayed with us. I laid down because I was tired of standing by that point, and I was hungry so Paul made me some cheese toast. I was just thinking that maybe it would be ok for these contractions to go away, and maybe I really wasn't pregnant, just really sick. About 6:45 my water broke! I have never gotten to experience that! It's always before broken while I was pushing. I just laughed and laughed, because it was so funny and there was so much of it! Really, I soaked 2 towels plus the big thick bathrobe I was wearing. So we called the midwives again! And someone to come get Abby. After about 20 minutes the contractions started to hurt, so I got into the water. It started to get really painful right about 7:45, then Paul and I were finally alone. The midwives came very soon after that, I was 8cm, and not thinking I could handle much more. What a wimp I am. I knew that there weren't many more contractions to go, and I didn't have much already behind me that hurt, but I was still afraid of more pain. But after two or three more contractions I started to push, and could feel the baby's head with my hand, so she started to come out. I was laying on my back in the water, kind of floating, but she wouldn't come out any more. In my head I heard something about her being stuck, but I was pushing as hard as I could. The midwife checked and saw a shoulder and a hand coming at the same time. I could not move, so they all got me out of the water and onto the bed. They were moving pretty fast, so I knew something was wrong. The assisting midwife pushed on my uterus while our primary midwife helped manuever the baby out.

I don't know how common that is, but it was not the experience I was hoping for. In retrospect, our baby could have died being stuck there. At worst she was really bruised and she has some broken blood vessels in her eyes. The pictures from that evening look really gross. I think they'll just get filed away. I wonder why she got stuck. Why was I on my back in the water? I know better than that! Why didn't she rotate as she was coming down? Why couldn't I push harder? I suppose I could ask a million more questions. Those last 10 minutes were not quiet and blissful as I had imagined they would be. But in all, we still get to hold a miracle in our arms, and everything else about her seems to be normal. She eats well, has enough wet and dirty diapers (yes, I'm compulsive about counting that, too) and even smiled today. The days of waiting were warming things up. I hope that my husband didn't lose too much by not being at work. Was it quick? only if you count in light years. Was it painless? Not a bit, and the recovery for me has been slower. Was it stress-free? Mostly, except for organizing the other kids.

So, Emma Kathryn Ryan, welcome. You are a miracle and a blessing. And to hold you makes my heart sing. Now if we can just get everyone else to quit running up and down the halls long enough for you and I to take a decent nap! That, and I still really want to get that knitting stuff out!

1 comment:

randomhousewife said...

Beautiful story! My son was stuck at the shoulders, too, which made for a few nervous minutes. I'm glad Emma arrived safely -- she's lovely!

-Valency