Thursday, March 13, 2008

More on cloth diapers

Someone asked what kind of diapers I liked best. That's hard for me to answer because I've tried so many kinds and loved quite a few of them. Right now what I like best is a 14x14" square of sherpa serged to a square of flannel, with or without something in the middle (old towels make great diaper inners, because they're still nice and absorbent, even if they are old and sad looking).

I fold that in thirds and lay it in the diaper cover (I still love those Chloe Toes diapers I've made - I'm not using the pocket, though) and then snap the cover on. No pins, no pain. My wipes are squares of flannel cut from the leftovers from the diapers with the edges serged. I finally looked at the serger manual and the latest batch of wipes has really nice edges with a very balanced overlock seam. Not all my wipes have such a pretty edge, but they work for their intended purpose. I keep them in an old disposable wipies box with no lid, then wet them with plain water when I'm ready to use them. Easy peasy, and no chemicals or soap to worry about. Plain water and a nice flannel clean a little bottom just fine.

2 comments:

mairuru said...

Hello,
This is Mai.
I'd like to tell you that you got the 1st. prize of my giveaway. Could you please tell me your address? -> maimairuru(at)gmail(dot)com

Thank you very much (* v *)!!!!

Jessa said...

I love cloth diapering! We did it with all three of our kiddos and loved it. Cloth wipes with cloth diapers make it so much easier too. And we did the same thing, keeping rags in a old wipes container and wetting them down. Except I also added a very small amount of berts bees soap and some of their baby oil to help cut down on diaper rashes. (Plus it made the wipes smell nice.)