Sunday, January 28, 2007

Quilt for MS

I'm making a block for MS. My mom has Multiple Sclerosis. She was diagnosed when I was 4 or 5. All I remember is that she was in the hospital in Houston for months at a time. My sister and I lived with my grandparents in Beaumont for those months at a time. My grandfather would take us at least once a week to see her. I was so little I remember curling up on the floor of the backseat of his car as we made the hour and a half trip. I don't really remember thinking that my mom was sick at that point, but since this has always been a part of our life I have done research here and there, especially as it relates to the condition my mom has. For the past 10 years or so she has had "episodes" every 6 months or so, which seem to last at least a month or two. Then it kind of fades and she is OK for a while. And then before you know it the MS starts again. Her parents have always expressed how fortunate she is to have done so well for so long (many people with MS degenerate quickly). She turned 60 last fall, and you know you never know how long you get to "keep" someone. She knows that, too. This past week she told us she realizes it's not going to get better. I hate that because she's always been a fighter. My husband says she is the most tenacious person I know.
So, I'm doing a block. I emailed my mom (she lives 6 hours away and we don't get to see either of our parents much). She said she'd do a block. I don't know what postage is to Australia, but if anyone else wants to do a block and send it to me (they will probably fit in a regular yellow envelope with 80c postage to me in Texas) I will take care of the cost of getting them to Australia. There is a pdf file on their amite blog, so you just download that and make your pieces. They will then auction the quilt on ebay and the money goes to MS research.
Oh, yeah, I'm not a quilter. So this is a first project. I know in theory how it all goes together. So in doing this I am learning something new as well as honoring my mom in a roundabout way. I'll post pictures when I get mine done for this. You can find the link to the Quilt for MS project at Amite on my sidebar.

2 comments:

62cherry said...

thank-you sooooo very much for getting involved in this project. My sister inlaw has MS and was diagnosed when she was 25.

Pablo said...

really nice tribute to your mom.