Monday, January 01, 2007

Sewing Class update

















This past fall I attempted to teach a small group of homeschoolers at our Enrichment Class coop to sew. These kids were 9-12 years old. Great kids. I did not anticipate that it would take us 4 minutes of the first class to learn to thread a needle. We had 10 sessions where we learned basic hand sewing skills, and we completed a few items. Some of the kids had an easier time than others, but several of them, plus several new ones, signed up to sew with me next semester!

We made bottlecap pincushions, wee's, tissue holders, grocery bag keepers, and cool ties. There were a few girls who got done with their projects earlier than others, so I had several different hot iron transfers ready for them to practice embroidering. I was really pleased with how well they all did. Several of the moms mentioned to me that their girls were happily spending their free time with a needle and thread. That makes it worth it, don't you think?

No comments: